Summer brings warm weather and fun vacations, but it also brings some particular challenges related to home décor care and damage along with it. Home décor in Salem, MO can easily be negatively affected by heat, neglect and dirt, just to name a few risk factors. Fortunately, there are some simple care tips you can take advantage of to keep your furniture and home décor clean and comfortable for you and your guests.
As a home décor store in Salem, MO, we’ve learned a lot over the years about how best to care for different furniture pieces during the different seasons. Read on to find out about how to make sure your home décor survives all the summer fun.
- Keep sand away: When families go camping or to the beach, they bring back fun souvenirs, sunburns and memories to last a lifetime. Unfortunately, they also tend to bring back vast quantities of sand and dirt, especially if they have small children. If you’re serious about maintaining home cleanliness during the summer, have a strict policy for returning from a messy trip. Have everyone put all their dirty clothes in the laundry room immediately, and require everyone to take off their shoes and shower before they’re allowed to relax or even sit down. These rules will be difficult for some families to enforce, but it will be worth it when you aren’t still vacuuming up sand two months later.
- Plan for vacations: If you plan to go on vacation for more than two weeks at time this summer, it might be worth it to have a house sitter look after your house. Dust and dirt can still build up in your home even while you’re away, especially if you’re leaving a cat or other pet behind. A pet sitter will give you the peace of mind of knowing your house and furniture are being taken care of as well, and you’ll get to come home to a nice, clean house.
- Don’t forget the patio: A big portion of your summer is probably spent on your back patio, gathered around the pool or barbecue. Before you jump into summer entertaining, take the time to make sure all your patio furniture is as clean and comfortable as possible. There are many different cleaning products out there depending on what material your patio furniture is made from. If it seems your patio furniture is well past its prime, it may be time to invest in a new set.
- Protect wooden furniture: Excessive heat and sunlight can be permanently damaging to wooden furniture. During the summer, try to keep your wooden furniture hidden or away from windows, and look into different techniques and products you can use to care for it.
- Flip cushions: Those lazy summer days are priceless, but they can leave indentations in your couches, chairs and patio furniture cushions, causing them to sag and look sloppy. Make sure to regularly flip your cushions, even before you notice any indentations, to avoid this common issue.
Visit Crowleys Homeworks to learn more about caring for your home décor in Salem, MO, or to browse our selection.