Because there’s so much to do and so little time, getting your home ready for holiday guests can be a real drag, but it’s one of those things that must be done if you’re entertaining friends and family. Luckily, we’re here to help you prepare. This post will cover the top ways to clean the upholstery and surfaces in your home without ruining them:
- Start early: One of our best pieces of advice is to start your cleaning early. The more you rush to get done, the greater the chance that you’ll end up ruining your décor. We recommend giving yourself at least a week or two to prepare your home instead of waiting until the last second.
- Vacuum often: Preparing for the holidays should be an all-year practice. To keep your upholstered furniture and carpeting in tip-top shape, you should vacuum at least once a week. This routine helps ensure stains don’t get ground in, while fluffing up the material to keep it looking brand new.
- Use baby wipes: Believe it or not, baby wipes are incredibly handy for cleaning up furniture or carpeting stains. They contain a gentle mixture of soap and water that can treat leather, cotton or polyester without damaging it. For best results, keep a package of wipes nearby for immediate response to spills.
- Invest in microfiber cloths: Another product you can’t go without is a package of microfiber cloths. As opposed to some regular towels, microfiber won’t scratch your surfaces, and they’re more cost-effective than paper towels because you can reuse them. Use microfiber on glass, leather, countertops or any other surfaces that need special care.
- Pay attention to labels: Don’t forget to read your cleaning products’ labels while cleaning for the holidays. The cleaning solution should say what materials the product is safe and unsafe to use on. When in doubt, ditch the commercial products and use a mixture of gentle dish soap and water to remove stains and clean surfaces.
- Blot with care: Homeowners often try to remove stains, but only end up rubbing the liquid deeper into the upholstery or carpet. That’s why you need to blot instead of scrub. Blot any stains using your microfiber cloth or a soft brush. This method gives you a better chance at lifting the stain once and for all.
- Hire a professional: Sometimes, it’s better to leave your upholstery and surface cleaning to the pros. Hiring a team of professional cleaners isn’t always the cheapest option, but it will save you tons of time and hassle. Plus, you can trust that they won’t damage any of your belongings.
Should you consider buying new furniture?
While you’re getting your home ready for holiday guests, think about replacing some of your old décor with new items from Crowley’s Homeworks. From carpeting to furniture, we have everything you need to give your home a brand-new look and feel before the holidays. Come see us today to shop our flooring and furniture selection from the nation’s top brands.