Do you own leather furniture? If so, you might be struggling with how to keep these pieces looking sharp. They typically require special care to properly maintain the leather. Fortunately, with the right tips, you can enjoy beautiful leather furniture for years to come. Try these recommendations from your furniture store in Houston, MO to extend the life of your leather:
- Start with a vacuum: To remove dirt from your leather furniture, start with a vacuum. Use a vacuum cleaner with flexible, detachable accessories to reach into all the cracks and creases of the leather. A quality vacuum often takes care of a majority of the dirt and debris that can accumulate on leather furniture.
- Add a gentle wipe-down: If additional dirt and dust remain on your leather after vacuuming, use a rag to wipe down your furniture. Add a bit of gentle dish soap and water to the rag to effectively clean your leather. Wipe it down a second time with a clean rag to remove any remaining soap.
- Turn to vinegar: White vinegar is another effective option for your leather furniture cleaning. You can use this instead of soap. If you choose vinegar, it’s important to dilute it first. A good ratio is two cups of water and a half cup of vinegar. Once you’ve wiped down the leather with the vinegar cloth, go over it again with a clean, damp rag to soak up any remaining vinegar, then wipe it down again with a dry cloth to finish the cleaning.
- Spot clean it: For leather furniture that is in need of greater TLC, you may need to enlist the help of a leather furniture cleaner. If you use a cleaning product, be sure to test it out on a small, inconspicuous area first. You can also check with your local furniture store in Houston, MO to see which specific cleaners they recommend.
- Target specific messes: Certain stains can be difficult to remove from leather furniture. Pets and children can be particularly hard on this material. To remove pen stains, use non-acetone nail polish remover. For permanent marker artwork, use aerosol hairspray on the leather. If your furry friend has an accident on the couch, use a white vinegar mixture to remove pet urine.
- Consult with the manufacturer: As you consider various options for cleaning your leather furniture, always consult any instructions provided by the manufacturer. Often, cleaning instructions are included with purchase documents. These instructions can help you properly maintain your furniture and avoid using a product that is known to damage your type of furniture.
Call for Backup
As you maintain your leather furniture, you can always contact your local experts for assistance. Your local furniture store in Houston, MO can provide valuable insight into leather maintenance. If you have questions about how to care for your furniture, contact the team at Crowleys Homeworks. We’ve been the area’s go-to furniture source since 1993. Reach out to us today for information on leather furniture, home décor, recliners, carpeting, mattresses and more