All floor types have a useful life expectancy, but carpeting wears out more noticeably. Even in low traffic homes, carpet eventually gives out and needs to be replaced. Many homeowners tolerate frayed, smelly or compromised carpet for years because they believe one more shampooing or another repair will make the difference. But sometimes, new carpeting in Houston, MO is your only solution. Here are five signs it is time to re-carpet:
- Stains: At some point, the stains will simply quit coming out. You may move furniture to cover up the permanent ones or attempt multiple stain treatments to no avail. Professional carpet cleaners tackle them enthusiastically and you feel you are in the clear, only for the stain to return a few months later. Eventually, carpeting gets to a point where any stain treatments and cleaning efforts no longer work. At that point, you will struggle less and enjoy a more beautiful home if you replace the carpet.
- Fraying: Old carpet rips and frays. You will see it on the edges or even in worn spots where foot traffic or pet antics are the most concentrated. If there are rips, fraying or even bumps you trip over every time you move furniture or vacuum, your carpet may simply be too worn out. If you see mats and tears or your vacuum consistently clogs up with fibers, it is likely time to find something new.
- Odors: Lingering smells in carpet are normal, especially if you have pets. Normally, calling in professionals to clean it solves the problem and your home is fresh once again. However, after a time, odors penetrate deep enough that no advancement in carpet cleaning technology can get to them. If anything, the smell gets worse because odors are now in the pad or subfloor. Too much scrubbing may attract mold. At that point, the only way your house stops smelling bad is if you replace the carpet.
- Bad padding: Padding is essential to carpet, as it is another layer between it and the subfloor. It supports the carpet and makes it more comfortable for lying on the floor or even walking. Once this padding absorbs enough spills and pet accidents, it starts to lose its advantages. If you notice wrinkles under your carpet or crinkling as you walk over it, your padding is no longer intact and you need to replace it all.
- Worse allergy symptoms: Just as carpet will retain stains and odors, it will also hold in allergens. The older the carpet, the more pollen, pet dander and dust it attracts. If you have someone in your household with respiratory struggles, you will see their symptoms get worse and you may experience some of your own. Rather than make your whole household ill, improve your air quality with better carpet.
Crowley’s Homeworks offers a diverse inventory of flooring and carpeting in Houston, MO for your home. You are bound to find an option that works for you. Visit us today to see the possibilities!